Sunday, March 13, 2011

Kitchen Garden Progress Report #1

It has been two weeks of working during the kiddos's naps and in the evenings but we have made progress on our new kitchen garden area! I forgot to take a before photo but this is a photo in progress: 


Zach built and installed 3 6x6 raised beds. We filled them with compost from the ranch, existing soil, aged mulch and two bags of composted cotton burrs. One veggie box has been planted for a week and our lettuces, brocolli, cabbage, spinach, and herbs are all looking great! More photos to come of those. Now we have 1/2 of the kitchen garden done! Here is the pretty side:

We also planted four grapes, two blackberries, and two blueberries (in pots). Next, came the hard part - I laid down newspaper and then about four inches of mulch to eliminate the weeds in the kitchen garden. It is a lot of brown at the moment but the color will come later.

Next on the agenda is to install strawberry patches around the blueberry pots, finish the newspaper/mulching, move bricks, and install second rose cutting area. Whew! I am tired just typing. But luckily we get a little break because I am taking the the girls to my mom's for the week so I hope Zach takes excellent care of our veggies and roses while we are gone! He is great and I know he will!

So here is a photo of the unfinished side of the kitchen garden. It is NOT pretty but it will make for a good before photo later! LOL! Oh, the umbrella with sandpit is for entertainment for my girls while I dig. Obviously, it is temporary but totally necessary at the moment!

So we are half way done with the kitchen garden! Whoop! (You Aggies feel me right!) Klacey (my smallest) pauses to smile for the camera.

Oh, and here is me too! So stylish don't you think!

3 comments:

  1. I love the garden from It's Complicated.....happy gardening to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your kitchen garden, Kelsey! Obviously you have put in an enormous amount of work but you know it will surely pay off. I can't wait to watch its progress. And yes, I get the Whoop love...I married an Aggie and produced one too :) Happy Gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! I love your blog for the veggie gardening and recipes! Great to know you have some Aggie pride as well! I can't wait to see how your garden does this year! Those bell peppers from last year looked amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you!